A multiple-choice question is one of the most used question types within Ans. A multiple-choice question can contain one or multiple correct answers. The answer options of a multiple-choice question can be shuffled randomly for all students.
How to create a multiple choice question
- Create an assignment.
- Click New exercise, fill in a title and click Save.
- Click New question and select Multiple choice.
- Fill in the question description.
- Click the drop-down button Choice type and choose One correct answer or Multiple correct answers.
- Click Add choice and fill in the answer option.
- Repeat this for all answer options.
- If preferred, you can also set the Fixed starting position. This allows you to fill in the position of the answer options, e.g. (1, 2, 3).
- Click the more_vert-icon at the top of the question for other various options.
- Click Save.
Options for a multiple choice question:
This marks the question as a bonus question.
This question will not be taken into account for the grades of exempt students.
- Stack choices vertically
Allows the choices to be stacked vertically.
- Partial scoring
Students will receive points when their answer is partly correct. For example, if the total number of points they can receive for a question is 2 and their answer is 50% correct, they will still receive 1 point. Without this option, they can only receive 0 or the maximum number of points.
- Shuffle choices
Randomise the options once.
- Sort answers
Sorts the choices in alphabetical order.
- Negative points
For incorrect answers.
How to review a multiple choice question
- Click Grading scheme in the switch at the top.
- Go to the question for which you want to set the grading scheme.
- Click the more_horiz-icon and click Edit.
- It is optional to fill in feedback that is shown when the results are published for:
- completely correct answers.
- not completely correct answers.
- incorrect answers.
- Fill in the number of points each answer option is worth.
- Filling in feedback for each choice is optional.
- You can use the Calculate points-button to calculate the maximum points. The points of all the criteria will be summed up automatically. Alternatively, you can manually set the maximum number of points.
- Click the more_vert-icon and you can use various options.
- Click Save.
Options for grading:
- Product rule
When using the product rule for grading, select the correct answer options.
- Grading description
A solution for the reviewers (and for students when published). The grading description can be an extensive elaboration, an image, or a file.
- Start with zero points (For the points-grading method only)
Select this option to allow all students to start with zero points before grading.
- Limit minimum to zero points (For the points-grading method only)
Select this option to allow all students to receive no negative points for this question.
- Limit maximum to total points (For the points-grading method only)
Select this option to allow all students to receive a maximum amount of points of the total amount of points for this question.
error_outline This question type will be graded automatically. Therefore it is not possible to change the score of a specific student. You can only change the points from the question.