This type can be selected to let the student answer with an equation. Furthermore, feedback will be provided if the equation solver is used when a student answers wrong, as seen in the image below. Grading of this question can be done manually or by using the equation solver.
How to create a mathematical equation question?
- Sign in to Ans.
- Create an assignment. Read here how to create an assignment.
- Click New exercise, fill in a title and click Save.
- Click New subquestion and select Mathematical equation.
- Fill in the question description.
- Click the drop-down button Review method and choose Review manually or Use equation solver.
- When the equation solver is chosen, click the Pencil-icon and write the equation. Click the drop-down button Equation operation and choose the operation.
- Click the more_vert-icon at the top of the question and you can use various options.
- Click Save.
Options for a mathematical equation question:
- Bonus: this marks the question as a bonus question.
- Skippable for special students: this question will not be taken into account for the grades of special students.
- Solve: solve the given equation for a specific variable. This variable should be given as well.
- Simplify: simplify the given equation to the smallest shape.
- Expand: expand the given equation. This is done for equations that contain brackets. The result will be an equation without brackets.
- Factor: this operation is the opposite of expanding. The given equation will be written as an equation with brackets.
How to review a mathematical equation question?
- Click Criteria in the menu at the top.
- Go to the question for which you want to set the criteria.
- Click the more_horiz-icon and click Edit.
- Fill in the number of points.
- Click the more_vert-icon and you can use various options.
- Click Save.
Options for grading:
- Grading description: reviewers can use this by grading the question. Or students can see it when the results are published.
- Start with zero points (For the points-grading method only): select this to let every student start with zero points before grading.
- Limit minimum to zero points (For the points-grading method only): select this to let every student get no negative points for this question.
- Limit maximum to total points (For the points-grading method only): select this to let every student get a maximum amount of points of the total amount of points for this question.
Note: The answer to the operation does not have to be given, while it is calculated automatically with the operation chosen. The student will have an infinite amount of attempts for this type of question.