error_outline Your ability to perform this action depends on the privilege settings of your school.
If you want to create multiple groups, it is possible to import groups with a .csv or .xlsx file. You can use one file to import one or more groups at the same time. All students that are included in the file will be added to the course if they were not yet a member. If a student account does not yet exist, Ans will automatically create an account for the student, unless this is restricted by your school settings. If a non-existing student is created by this import, you can add other details such as the name of the student in the platform. Alternatively, the student can also add their name after signing in.
error_outline Please note that importing information may overwrite the email and student number of existing users if not used precisely. More information about this can be found below.
Ans will check the import file per row. For the group import, the email address is an optional field. If the email address is used and if either the email or student number is found, the other attribute will always be overwritten from the import file. This is elaborated with two examples:
- If the import file finds a student number which is also present in Ans, the import feature tries to find an email address. If the email address exists but is connected to another user in Ans, both accounts are merged.
- If the import file can't find the student number, but can find the email address in Ans, the student number of the existing account in Ans will be overwritten.
To import a group, follow the steps below.
- Click the domain School name in the menu on the left.
- Click label_important Courses in the menu at the top.
- Select your course or use the search bar.
- Click group Members in the menu at the top and click Groups in the tab in the top left.
- Click Import and click Download template or create a .csv, .xls, or .xlsx file that consists of at least two columns: group name and student number. Optionally you can add a third column with an email. The order of the columns is not important.
- Click Browse for a file and select the file, or drag and drop the file into the dialogue.