This article will elaborate on the availability of assignments. Part of this is the number of attempts students have to hand in their work.
When creating an assignment, the availability of the assignment has to be set in the fourth step. After creating the assignment, this can be changed. For different assignments, different options are available regarding the availability of the assignment:
- Handwritten assignment: For this type of assignments, the availability date appears on the front page of the exam. Further the date has no influence on the assignment.
- Hand-in assignment
- Groups: For this type of assignments the availability of the assignment can be set per group. Select a group from the drop-down menu which standard says All students. Click Add group to set more time periods for other groups.
- Allow students to submit after the deadline: This option allows students to be able to hand in their work after the deadline. This will be visible for the instructor after submission.
- Allow multiple attempts: By default a student can only hand in one time. By selecting this option, a different number of attempts can be selected. When this is done, the student will be able to select a second attempt and upload files here as well as can be seen in the image below.
- Online test
- Groups: Just as with hand-in assignments, different groups can get different availability dates. Read above how this works.
- Allow multiple attempts: By default a student can only submit an online test once. By selecting this option, a different amount of submissions can be selected.
- Allow students to start test: Students normally can not start the test until this box is checked. This could be useful when all students are in one room and first some explaining has to be done before the students can start their online test.
- Accessibility: Three options are available regarding the accessibility of an online test:
- Restrict access to view other assignments
This option will prevent students to view an older assignment on the day of the test. You can use this option to prevent students from viewing practice assignments or other exams.
This option can only be used if the duration of the assignment is 1 day. Because students can no longer view other assignments, we don't want to lock them out for a longer period than a day.
- Use Safe Exam Browser for this test. [BETA]
When using this option, students can only make the quiz from the Safe Exam Browser. The student will have to download the Safe Exam Browser on their own laptop, or the institution needs to install the Safe Exam Browser on all devices in an examination hall.
The safe exam browser prevents a student from accessing anything other than Ans.
- Allow a calculator
This option allows the students to use an online calculator during the test. This calculator will be shown in the whole test on the left upper corner. Two options are available: a standard and a scientific calculator. More about this option can be found in this article.
- Restrict access to view other assignments
- Assignment requirements: Students may have to have passed a different assignment to be able to start this assignment. This can be selected by adding a requirement clicking ADD REQUIREMENT. Next, select an assignment and select if the student only has to have completed this assignment or if the mark should be higher or equal than a certain value by the next drop-down menu. Multiple requirements can be added.
- Coding assignment: This type of assignments has the same options regarding the availability as a hand-in assignment.
Plan an assignment
It is not necessary for an assignment to plan an assignment at the moment an assignment is created. When later on the date and time of the assignment is known, the assignment can be planned. This can be done in two ways:
Via your feed
- Go to the feed of all your assignments, the unplanned assignment will be shown on top of the list of assignments:
- Click Plan exam
- A pop-up will appear in which the button ADD EXAM DATE will be found. Click this button and choose the date and time.
Via the assignment in question
- Go to the assignment of which the date is to be planned.
- Go to the tab About and choose the tab Availability.
- Here the button ADD EXAM DATE is found. Click this button and choose the right date and time.