An order question is mostly used in an assignment if students are required to rank the answers. Students can drag and drop the choices into the right order.
How to create an order question
- Create an assignment.
- Click New exercise, fill in a title and click Save.
- Click New question, select Order and click Save.
- Fill in the question description.
- Click the drop-down button Order type and choose Horizontal or Vertical.
- Click Add choice and fill in the answer option. Repeat this for all answer options.
- If preferred, you can also click on the box Fixed starting position. This allows you to fill in the position of the answer options.
- Click the more_vert-icon at the top of the question for other various options.
- Click Save.
Options for an open question:
This marks the question as a bonus question.
This question will not be taken into account for the grades of exempt students.
- Partial scoring
Students will get points when their answer is partly correct. For example, the total number of points they can get for this question is 2 and their answer is half correct, they will get 1 point. Without this option, they only can get 0 or the maximum number of points.
How to add a grading scheme to an order question
- Click Grading scheme in the switch at the top.
- Go to the question for which you want to set the grading scheme.
- Fill in the number of points each answer option is worth.
- It is optional to fill in feedback that will be shown when the results are published for:
- completely correct answers.
- not completely correct answers.
- incorrect answers.
- Click the more_vert-icon and you can use various options.
- Click Save.
Options for grading:
- Use automatic scoring
When you use automatic scoring for grading, select the correct answer options.
- Grading description
A solution for the reviewers (and for students when published). The grading description can be an extensive elaboration, an image, or a file.
- Start with zero points (For the points-grading method only)
Select this option to allow all students to start with zero points before grading.
- Limit minimum to zero points (For the points-grading method only)
Select this option to allow all students to receive no negative points for this question.
- Limit maximum to total points (For the points-grading method only)
Select this option to allow all students to receive a maximum amount of points of the total amount of points for this question.
Grading of an order-question
If you have not used the product rule-option, an order-question will be graded as follows:
We determine the number of correct ‘pairs’. For example, 4 options for the following pairs are used:
1-2 ; 1-3 ; 1-4 ; 2-3 ; 2-4 ; 3-4
We compare this with the student answer and if for example, the student identified 4 correct pairs, the student receives a score of 4/6 * number of points.
So in general: grade = (number of correct pairs set by the student / total number of correct pairs) * number of points set for this question
error_outline Order questions are graded automatically and therefore it is not possible to change the score of a specific student. You can only change the points from the question.